Monday, June 3, 2013

Use it Or... Soul Sucking Gremlin Beast!!!

First, up I am going to feed you guys another broken promise. That is to be more active with my posting.

Come on. We all know that it will never happen, but it sounds like I am trying if I say it. :)

So today I want to share with you a little about my art training past. Ok so It wasn't that long ago, but I found myself thinking about it when I was working on a new project of mine.

When I was in my final year of high school (yes I made it to the end. Mostly on my good looks and humor. But I still made it! So that counts).
The only other person in my portfolio art class that was an outcast (which really meant we wanted to do our own thing our way. Rebellion it never gets you anywhere, but it is a fun way to spend Saturday nights!) looked over at a figure drawing I was working on. He started to laugh at me.

I know the nerve, right?
Don't worry his soul is safely tucked away in my demon cat.


When I asked him what he was laughing about, he said "You are using guidelines? Really?".
Basically it made it sound like serious artist don't use guide lines when drawing. they just do it right the first time and that is all you need.

YEAH FUCKING RIGHT!!!

Artist are self criticizing, tortured, and put up with public ridicule. Like we need another standard we will never live up to.

No one can do it right the first time (unless you are that guy I met in college. A painter with those hands *fantizes*).




 To all aspiring artists, even writers

Use your GUIDELINES, or outlines. They need you as much as you need them. So what if you need an underline structure to build upon. At least your stuff won't come falling apart later on.

Don't be proud and think you need to get it right the first time. Not even yours truly can do that. When I did try (after listening to that ass in high school) my art and skills took fourteen steps backwards, and it took me years to break that habit. So do not fall into that trap.

 This is before I broke the habit

Use those lines people, use them when you don't even think you need them. Maybe later you will find you don't need to use some of them, but until you are a master, old, graying, and can barely hold a pencil use them.

I mean no one is going to see those lines, it is the final you want perfect. The million of underlying sketches do not matter.

"As An artist you have 10,000 bad drawings given to you at birth. Now spend your lifetime getting them out!" Sheldon Borenstein

And if someone is going to put your process down give me their names. I will send my soul sucking Gremlin beast after them.

Till Next time My Sexy Demon Minions!